The SR161 is an entry-level, low-cost, single-channel scanning receiver. It is designed for recreational vessels using a computer with AIS-capable navigation software or RS232 compatible chartplotters, such as the Standard Horizon or many Garmin chart plotters.
For a very simple, low-cost and easy-to-set-up PC-based AIS system, use the SR161, with the Sabrent USB to Serial Adapter
The SR161 can provide years of service when used with a computer's standard RS232 serial port interface, an AISWatchmate or a compatible chartplotter. It is not designed to be used with chart plotters employing a NMEA standard (RS422) interface (such as Raymarine C, E and G Series or Garmin 4000 and 5000 series). If you need an AIS solution for use with a chart plotter, please consider one of our NMEA-compatible AIS receivers or any of our AIS transponders
The SR161 can be used with many popular computer-based marine navigation packages. Any navigation package that can process NMEA VDM data from a serial port should work with the SR161.
- Power supply range: 9 - 15 volts DC
- Power consumption : 1.5 watt
- Format: NMEA 0183 version 3
- Baud rate: 38,400 baud
- Output message: AIVDM
- LEDs: 2 LEDs for receiver and data transfer
- Frequency: AIS1 on 161.975 MHz, AIS2 on 162.025 MHz
- Dual channel scan receiving (SR161)
- Channel spacing: 25 KHz
- Sensitivity: -112dBm
- Demodulation: GMSK
- Antenna impedance: 50 ohms
- Dimensions: 115 x 75 x28 mm
- Weight: 400g
- Connectors: VHF antenna BNC, 12 volt wiring, serial port
- Output port: 9 pin D socket RS-232 serial
Packages include the AIS Receiver, a 9-pin serial cable, wiring and connector for 12 volt power.
Some of the data received by the AIS Receiver and relayed to your computer-based navigation system
Type of vessel
Speed over ground
Course over ground
Rate of turn
Click here to download the product manual...